Sunday, November 29, 2015

Painting Test Strips

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

Many painters that I know use a scrap of watercolor paper to test pigment mixes prior to applying them to a painting. I test my colors to achieve the value that I am seeking, which in essence is the degree of darkness. Since watercolor dries much lighter than the initial wet mix, this test strip is a valuable tool. In addition, I make notes in a little field book regarding certain pigment combinations that I come upon. This way I have a portable record for future reference. In addition to trying different pigment mixes I also use scraps of different paper as there is a wide range of watercolor paper and thus a great range of effects one can achieve.

The little portrait at the bottom was done quickly, primarily as a means to achieve a relatively accurate skin tone, which can be challenging. Doodling on the paper and testing out color combinations keeps me from thinking too much. It is also a resource which I can come back and build on if I end up going in a different direction. 

No comments:

Post a Comment