Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Pencil study

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

Sometimes a pencil sketch says it all. A little drawing done in five minutes, with such simplicity, can communicate more than a large detailed piece. At least that is what I think when I come back to this drawing.

Without any color added, I feel the sun over the snow-draped landscape. Even the rough pencil marks remind me of the shaggy bark curling in every which way it can.

Originally, I was inspired by the sight of this deciduous tree with it's Winter silhouette, as I drove by my town's common. This tree has a life of it's own, just as each individual human being has a story to tell. From this experience I was looking to capture more of it's presence so others could notice it. However, I wanted to give it context and scale so I included the the woods in the background. I believe a painting will come of this but I am not yet completely sold on the composition.

No comments:

Post a Comment