Sunday, December 11, 2016

Aquabord

(C) 2016 Dale DiMauro

Several weeks ago when I was in Northampton, MA, I purchased several aquabord panels. These boards were created specifically for use with watercolor. I had yet to try this new surface and was not sure how the watercolor pigments would handle it. The surface is textured not unlike a sheet of cold press watercolor but it is a board so the pigment more or less sits on the surface. I liked working with the panel even though I was not sure how far to carry the development of the picture.

I created an imaginary landscape inspired from the Connecticut River Valley with it's meandering river basin. The photograph is not quite accurate in that the sky transitions from the horizon with a richer cobalt blue the further up you proceed. 

I have been experimenting with the use of permanent magenta in collaboration with other pigments such as paynes gray and ultramarine blue to achieve greater atmospheric effects.

No comments:

Post a Comment