Sunday, October 7, 2018

Revolutionary War re-enactment

(C) 2018 Photograph Dale DiMauro

It was a beautiful morning on Saturday, September 29, 2018 when my wife and I headed out the door. I did not truly grasp in advance what we would experience. We decided to attend a Revolutionary War re-enactment in Charleston, New Hampshire.

I suppose it was somewhat like going to Gettysburg without the crowds and heat. We basically went back in time which was really neat. The enactors not only dress true to the time period but are approachable and engaging. They came from all over the country and Canada. Some even slept over night in tents of the period.

This photograph was from the battlefield re-enactment which played out before our eyes. The vivid colors of the uniforms and the troop movements caught my imagination. Not to mention the smoke from all the shooting. Before we left I thought this would be a great scene to capture in watercolor. 

The figures set against the cloud of smoke with their individual postures, casting strong shadows on that green grass make for a strong composition. I was thinking it might be best to go with a horizontal composition with added lawn to the right enhancing their presence. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment