Sunday, February 3, 2019

Little landscapes

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

Doodling little landscapes in pencil, pen and watercolor is a favorite pastime of mine. Each time I challenge myself with different color schemes or ways to to express atmospheric qualities. Along the way I hope to become more proficient with the the brush and paint.

When I have success in painting landscapes it is important to start with the sky and work towards the foreground. A weak wash to imply a distant land mass can be very convincing. This also makes the foreground vegetation stand out in contrast. The second wash over the water gives depth and makes the water along the shore appear shallow.

Over time I have learned it is best to establish a convincing horizon. Keep it simple and parallel to the bottom of the page.

Recently, I have been trying to achieve cleaner washes with simpler mixes and broader strokes. The bigger brush I use the better. It is also important to leave the wash alone once it is put down. You can always add a second or third wash if necessary after the first has dried.

No comments:

Post a Comment