Sunday, July 26, 2026

This Evening's Plein Air

(C) 2026 Dale DiMauro
 
A few years ago I was given ten stunning daylily plants from Olallie Daylily Gardens in Newfane, VT. In normal times I would not see them bloom as mid-July is usually vacation time. Obviously, this year, with the cost of living outrageously out of control, I was home to see the flowers in bloom.

This watercolor has a Winslow Homer(1836 - 1910) look to it, consciously or not. I painted one of my daylilies in bloom but didn't want to spend a lot of time fussing with the background, particularly as the light was already low. Instead, I dropped in a landscape, which gave the flower a greater presence with it's upward perspective. Some daylilies, to me, have a tropical look, which this landscape embodies.

I painted this watercolor this evening as the sun was setting. The bugs got the better of me in the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment