Wednesday, November 9, 2016

Having fun with new sketchbook

(C) 2016 Dale DiMauro


My painting experience has evolved to the point where I am reasonably comfortable painting a large picture which requires larger figures if they happen to be in the composition. To that end I am attempting to improve upon the drawing and painting of my figures. Whether those figures are actively performing some activity out in the landscape or standing while talking on their cell phone, I am trying to capture the posture of these individuals. I have admired Ogden Pleissner's figures, in his watercolors which have a certain degree of authority to them.

I have enjoyed drawing and painting in this new mixed media sketchbook. Fortunately, the pages are thick enough that they do not buckle too much when wet. This way they are easier to work on. In addition, I can paint on the back side too. The idea is to continue to improve upon my figures, automobiles etc., by carrying around this sketchbook and capturing everyday tasks that people normally do and put down a quick wash to record the moment. In this book, in addition, I hope to develop little sketches which may inspire me to paint larger watercolors down the road.

No comments:

Post a Comment