Wednesday, November 30, 2016

Pencil studies

(C) 2016 Photograph Dale DiMauro


My art mentor Gerard Doucette impresses upon me the importance of developing quick pencil studies as a means to improve upon your composition before you start painting. I have filled the back of my small sketchbook with many of these postage-sized pencil studies. 

Through eliminating unnecessary details and improving the arrangement of elements you can strengthen your composed picture. For example, if you have an individual in your picture, by lowering the horizon you can strengthen the presence of that individual.

Mr. Doucette helped me develop these pencil sketches last spring for a watercolor composition. It is of a winter scene at a local ski jump. However, since it is of a winter scene I wanted to put it off until at least late fall, after the summer season had passed. Now I am eager to start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment