Sunday, March 12, 2017

New palette for plein-air painting

(C) 2017 Dale DiMauro

Back in January I purchased this new palette set for painting outside. I have been eager to try it out ever since. Instead of the half-pan sets which are common, I prefer the full-pan sets. It is hard to slide your brush into those small pigment areas. Along the way the artist is also picking up pigment from the neighboring pans. In addition, I have learned the better sets use honey as a way to keep the pigment cakes from cracking or drying out.

Last fall I read a book by Mario Andres Robinson, an established watercolor painter, called Lessons in Realistic Watercolor. I recall he mentioned how most watercolor sets found at local arts stores or even at your local Micheals are student grade. These student grade sets offer weak color pigments, or at least from my experience. Mr. Robinson mentions the importance of seeking out professional grade watercolor pigments which provide much higher quality colors. The good manufacturers of these sets tend to have been around for years such as this set I purchased by Sennelier.

With the recent mild weather here in Vermont, it seemed that spring might be around the corner. However, the weather has turned much colder prior to this weekend and now we are forecasted to receive a major snowstorm. My excitement to try out this new set in our local river valley will have to wait a little longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment