(C) 2026 Dale DiMauro
Recently, I was reading an article on watercolor painting where the author only used sap green and sepia to mix all her greens. These two pigments provide a rich and lively green which can be cooled or warmed with ultramarine blue or burnt sienna, if need be.
On occasion I like to use Phthalo blue with burnt sienna or Prussian blue with new gamboge for a lively green. So I figured I would give this sap green and sepia combination a shot and this is what I came up with.
The field areas were painted with some yellow ochre but the tree foliage was painted with this sap green/ sepia pairing.
It does seem to be a useful combination to convey the foliage of summer. It is a nice contrast with the spare and dried color of the fields. The absence of color where the water is conveys a calm, serene quality to the landscape.

No comments:
Post a Comment