Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Early winter snow

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

This is a watercolor I started before I broke my wrist in early February. Now that we are in July where the temperature can heat up I plan on finishing this one, a cool season subject. I started this picture on a full sheet which is 22" by 30". To see a painting framed on this scale, across a room, can make quite an impact.

I was taken by the freshness of the scene. There is a lot of temperature in the elements from the cool of the snow to the warmth of the bark on the trees. The clouds seem to part before your eyes, revealing clean snow in contrast with the dark railroad trestle directing you into the picture. I find the painted crosswalk spellbinding.

The more experience drawing and painting, the greater I understand the importance of the dark areas revealing light and the sometimes subtle balance of both. I will post my progress and challenges along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment