Wednesday, July 15, 2015

Out on the Water

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

There was this marine painter called Carl Evers, who was a master at painting water in watercolor. His paintings of the sea in watercolors, many with goache, an opaque paint, are truly amazing. Somehow he acquired a rich grasp of the waves and huge swells of water with exquisite accuracy in color and character. Some of these characteristics--in addition to our anticipated, annual upcoming summer vacation to Maine--inspired me to paint this boat scene.

I have painted water in the past and have done okay with it, particularly the placid sort. However, I wanted to expand into moving water, whether ripples or raging rapids. Recently, I got a new rigger brush, a name derived from painting the rigging on ships. This brush is a size ten, which provides a healthy belly for holding pigment and water. I used it to build up the shape of waves in the foreground and thereby strengthening the perspective of the body of water. I included the sailboat behind the lobster boat because I like the wash of color contrasting with everything else and the feel of movement. In addition, I do like the dark mass of trees, which makes the boat come forward while adding an element of mystery.

No comments:

Post a Comment