Sunday, July 12, 2015

Out in the Sun

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro



With our summer vacation to Maine fast approaching, the subject of this watercolor inspired me of the refreshing coastal waters, we shall soon be upon. There is something alluring about the cool lapping water, coastal breeze and different yet familiar sights. Today, in Vermont it is approaching a humid, ninety degrees. The pollen has been irritating my eyes for quite sometime, as it has others, but the humidity makes it more uncomfortable.

This little watercolor study is of an area of Bar Island off of Bar Harbor, Maine, which we visited last July. The tide comes in and goes out. However, if you are unaware you may be stranded with or without your vehicle, off the mainland.

Much of the sky was cut off when I photographed the painting. I think the golden ratio plays into this. The dimensions of this small painting are 5" x 9" which is an unusual size. However, when I photograph and thus reduce the size of a painting for the blog of standard sizes such as a 9" x12", 10" x 14" or 12" x 16" the proportions seem relatively intact from the original painting.

On occasion, I test my color combinations, for the right value on the side bar, which is the same sheet of watercolor paper as the painting, which is then cut off when I have completed the picture. 




No comments:

Post a Comment