Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Flat Files

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

Several years ago I started to make a bunch of flat files, twelve drawers in actuality. I made the drawers, added two coats of polyurethane to them and installed pull handles. They are faced in oak. However, I have had a hard time finishing the cabinets that hold the drawers. Part of this delay is because I do not have a formal workshop--I use my unheated garage. Once spring arrives there are other demands on my time, and the garage gets really hot in the summer. In addition, there are complications due to the precise dimensions of the sides, drawers and back (dust cover). Also, they require the use of nearly every tool I have: table saw, compound mitre saw, router etc.

Well, I am pushing to get them done before the snow flies and it becomes too cold to work in the garage. I really need to use them to store unframed paintings, sheets of watercolor paper and even mats. There is another flat file in my studio/office space which is well used. Even the top surface is a great place to look at paintings in process and to store large watercolor blocks.

No comments:

Post a Comment