Sunday, October 4, 2015

On the Water

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

This past September when we had such a great stretch of beautiful days with low humidity I got out and paddled my kayak. I paddled both by myself and with a group from the Brattleboro Outing Club. I brought my old digital camera with me and snapped photographs with an eye for composition. Everyone who has a kayak these days, seems to have a vessel with bright and cheery colors, which create stunning reflections on the water when the light is good.

This recent weather and paddling inspired me to start this watercolor. The photograph I took as a reference, cannot be improved upon. Or at least that is what I think.

I particularly like the vertical composition with the fresh colors of late summer and early fall. The reflections conveyed on to the water from the boat and its occupant are dramatic. As a result I prefer to study the patterns on and of the water. I like how the focal point is high on the sheet almost pulling the viewer into the scene. It is also a forward looking perspective which makes the viewer look diagonally into the distance towards the next bend in the river.

I do enjoy the first washes, creating the placid water and developing the woodland edge with yellows, greens, and ochres. You can go on and on with all the variations of color and value on the water. I still have much more to add.

No comments:

Post a Comment