Sunday, October 18, 2015

Sun on the hill

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

This is a watercolor I started two years ago. I like the angles of the building, along with the sun and shadows. The downward view appeals to me too. I attempt to be true to the colors I see. Of course in watercolor the pigments dry much lighter than when they are wet.

As I often do, I move trees around to hide unsightly objects, enhance open space or to match the scale of a structure. In this case, by moving the evergreen behind the house, it makes the building come forward, particularly since it is such a light color. It also clarifies the form of the house. Basically, I try to enhance or simplify the composition when I can.

I like to include power lines, street signs and guardrails amongst other road amenities because they are cultural and historical references. Some of these utilitarian elements, such as a guardrail, can become quite dated in appearance. We take them for granted in our environments, but they become noticeable again when placed in a painting. 


No comments:

Post a Comment