Sunday, May 15, 2016

Early Spring

(C) 2016 Dale DiMauro

Sometimes painting what is local and under your feet is the best. We had by Vermont's standards a short winter but it seemed long. This past winter we had very little snow accumulation and then in April, one last storm arrived after it seemed like spring was upon us.

This watercolor I enjoyed working on. I used the much thicker 300lb Arches watercolor paper which gave me more time to work as it stayed wet longer and seemed to attain a greater freshness of color. The vegetation and background was painted very wet and in a free manner. I like the perspective where you are looking up the road and towards the light. The glimpse of a reflection adds dimension to the scene.

People from a local art group in Keene, N.H thought I got the values spot on. That is the degree of darkness in relation to other objects depicted. Viewers seem to become quiet when they stand in front of the picture which I assume is a good thing. I think it does make you take it in as it captures your attention. I pride myself in not painting with gaudy colors but a more natural palette.

No comments:

Post a Comment