Sunday, May 22, 2016

Figures in watercolor

(C) 2016  Dale DiMauro

I live in a small town in southern Vermont, Brattleboro, which hosts a ski jump which attracts thousands of spectators one weekend a year. Much work goes into preparing for this ski jump and then making sure it goes smoothly. There are countless volunteers who help pull off this event. I am one of the volunteers who helps in marking where the skiers land on the hill. The patrons stand in the cold air along the side of the hill and the landing area and watch the jumpers with amazement. The dress and posture of the spectators I find fascinating. 

This setting provided the inspiration for this watercolor sketch. I enjoy trying to capture the posture of a figure or figures in pencil and watercolor, whether as a pencil sketch, a quick watercolor, or a refined painting. 

I love the texture of the paper that is evident in this photograph. I think it truly adds some dimension to the impression of this scene. The figure in the foreground is both in the sun and projecting a shadow. I can feel the shift in temperature from his shoulder to his feet. Can you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment