Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Late fall in the field

(C) 2017 Dale DiMauro


This is a local field in Brattleboro, Vt, walking distance from my house. I have walked this field in all kinds of weather throughout the seasons. However, the sky is what I have learned to pay attention to. Sometimes there is bright light and it feels great to have the warmth of the sun on my face as I walk across the uneven ground. Other times the clouds are racing across the sky with strong winds and the desperate cackle of birds flailing in the air. 

With the advent of a new year, it is a great time to develop new techniques and try different things. One year ago I would not have used the color combinations in the above watercolor. I like the effect of dry brush in the mid-ground on the left, which I do not do enough of. I also used opaque white paint in the foreground to suggest corn stubble.

For Christmas I received a ukelele so perhaps over time as I learn that instrument my paintings will evolve in a new direction. However, since the new year I have been a bit under the weather. So this watercolor was intended to give me a quick little push into 2017.

No comments:

Post a Comment