Sunday, January 22, 2017

Sketchbook drawing

(C) 2017 Dale DiMauro

I have been drawing in my sketchbook quite a bit lately. There is something about picking up a pencil and doing a drawing of a person or a landscape. When I am finished it is quite satisfying to look at the drawing and critique it on many levels. Does it look anything like the person? Did I capture the character traits of the individual? How did I do in conveying their expression? How would I do it differently next time? 

Overtime, I do believe there has been improvement in capturing the human form. Naturally, the proportions of the face from the nose to ears and eyes, I have become better acquainted with. Along the way I have experimented with all kinds of drawing papers and a range of pencils. I prefer to use artist pencils such as Cretacolor or Staedtler and even woodless graphite wood pencils simply because the tips will not break as easily as a Ticonderoga-type school pencil. They do not smear as readily either. I do not want to be caught working on a drawing outside where I need to sharpen a pencil. As far as drawing paper I prefer thicker weighted sheets such as 65lb or 80lb sheets with some tooth, over a smooth surface. Strathmore artist papers is one reliable paper manufacturer that can be found at your local art store that I like.

One other thing. I prefer to use an eraser as little as possible. Often I intentionally do not even bring an eraser with me so that t does not become a crutch. 

Hopefully, my experience in using some of these materials can be an aid to someone reading this blog.


No comments:

Post a Comment