Sunday, March 18, 2018

Brattleboro Retreat Woods

(C) 2018 Dale DiMauro

Late in the week I was fortunate to join an art group in Newfane, Vermont. With this group I did some more work on this winter scene, primarily the trees in the background. The thinner tree in the foreground had masking fluid applied early on, high up on the trunk. This was removed then. Raw sienna was added to the same trunk to exaggerate the contrast with the snow.

Overall, I like how this picture has come together. Originally, I was struck by the stunning light on the snow, when I came upon this scene, in the middle of the woods. I pre-stained the paper with a yellow pigment before I truly started painting. This area with the warm glow has the least amount of paint on it.

After meeting with this group, which I figured was about half way to Grafton,VT, I went cross-country skiing in some of the best conditions of this winter season.

No comments:

Post a Comment