Sunday, March 11, 2018

Late Winter Light

(C) 2018 Dale DiMauro

At this of the year, late in the day, if the sun is out, the light can be magical. This glow can be striking. However, it does not last long. It can transform the landscape, though. 

I am not trying to imply that I captured this light, but it certainly is inspiring. Even though there does not seem to be a lot of color in the landscape, at this time of year, the colors often become intensified.

On my palette I occasionally use this electric blue called manganese blue. I have only observed this blue in the landscape around this time year, after a fresh snowfall. The extended length of day combined with the fluctuation of temperatures seem to make me aware of this atmospheric quality. Manganese in a watercolor painting energizes the landscape. It becomes a focal point even though it is often on the edge of shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment