Sunday, July 28, 2019

Stickney Brook II

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

As you may have figured out by now, Stickney Brook is one of my favorite local plein air spots. The dappled light, burst of foliage, cool breezes and water in its various forms is enticing. In numerous points along the brook you have falls, pools, eddies and meandering, offering diverse vantage points to paint and dip in.

I sat on a flat ledge-like rock, seat height, with my feet dangling in the rushing water. The light was changing quickly so I worked fast from top to bottom. These days I have evolved to rotating the watercolor block in my hand to manipulate the areas which are wet until I move on to another area. The spatial qualities of the brook I feel good about even if the foreground could use some finishing touches.

This Summer I have been using Holbein watercolors almost exclusively for painting outside. One of the great things about painting outdoors is the simplicity one attains whether conscious or not. For this painting I only used two brushes.


No comments:

Post a Comment