Wednesday, May 10, 2023

American Elm

                                                                             (C) 2023 Dale DiMauro
 

Last summer when my wife and I went on our vacation in Maine we stayed not far from the largest American Elm I have ever seen. This location was in southern Maine along the largest wetland in the state.

You can see how large the tree is in scale compared to the individual standing near the base, by the trunk. It felt great to walk under the tree and be protected and shaded by it's layers of canopy. Also, it was exciting to look out across the field from this protected location.

This elm could be seen from just about anywhere on this landscape preserve which was a hundred acres or so in size.

Though not a watercolor this experience has inspired me to paint one of my largest watercolors to date.

No comments:

Post a Comment