Sunday, April 19, 2015

A pleasant outlook

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

One evening my wife and I were watching the evening news when I started drawing this portrait from a photograph in a Vermont Life Magazine we had on the coffee table. The photograph is attributed to Chris Cammock, in the Spring 2014 edition. I liked how the drawing developed and carried it further by starting a watercolor of the portrait. Instead of using the usual 140 lb. Arches watercolor block, I decided to try it on a 300 lb. block, which is a much thicker paper that holds water more easily. Initially, I was going to paint a very different background, perhaps even just a rich dark color. 



However, the real issue was how to portray her hair as it got lost in the background if that were a lighter color. Ultimately, I painted it as it was in the photograph with the brick wall lending a sense of depth to the picture. I do like the individual hair strands that project from her head against the red of the brick. Believe it or not, her hair is painted with ultramarine blue.

Another issue is coming up with a name for a painting. At times the subject or atmospheric effects suggest a name. Often I just type in a name in the beginning of a post, and as the writing develops, I am able to come up with a more suitable title. What would you title this picture?

No comments:

Post a Comment