Monday, April 6, 2015

Towards the end of Winter

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

I had great fun developing this painting. The scene is drawn from my neighborhood. The length of day has been increasing as evidenced from the late afternoon western light. To me there is a balance of warmth and coolness in the picture. The color of the roofs have a nice gentle warmth to them, while also conveying an element of abstraction in their geometries. The snow, street and evergreens have a harmonizing coolness. 

There are undulating woodlands in the background which I tried to really play up with washes of sepia to make the building in the sun pop forward. The bleached affect on the wall in the sun further delineates the building.

I do love the older homes, with their distinctive detail, character and how they are situated in the land. No two older homes look alike. In the changing light and shadows over the course of the day I find them to be truly wonderful. Never a dull moment! For some time I have been entertaining thoughts of introducing a figure or figures into some of the pictures. Perhaps in a window or working in the yard. I don't know at this point but you never know......

No comments:

Post a Comment