Thursday, April 9, 2015

Cedar Street

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

People have been asking me lately if I do any oil painting. Years ago, I mean decades ago, oil painting was the first medium I attempted. I had painted a snow scene and a couple of young men painting a red barn on ladders, amongst other landscapes. In high school I also did some acrylic painting, featuring downhill ski racers. For plein air painting I am interested in using water mixable oil color, which cleanup just like watercolor. You also can paint these upright on an easel which is important when painting outside.

The above painting I did a little over a year ago on a panel Gerarde Doucette had prepared for me. Gerarde hosts a small group of artists in his studio in Charlestown, New Hampshire from time to time where he goes around and gives individual advice to artists. Cedar Street is a busy side road in our neighborhood. This was painted as much with a paint brush as with a palette knife. I pretty much completed it in one afternoon, though I had transferred a line drawing to the panel in advance.

No comments:

Post a Comment