Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Ashuelot Park

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro


I like the Ashuelot Park, in Keene, New Hampshire at this time of year. In particular, I enjoy the trail that runs from the park in Keene up towards the Cheshire Hospital. Once the snow melts and mud subsides, it is a lovely walk or bicycle ride on soft ground with the Ashuelot River on one side and wetland areas on the other. Often the sound of the first peepers of the season I find here, along with the new arrivals of birds out in the sunshine. This is the embodiment of spring. 

This watercolor expresses that time of year when we finally have beautiful sun, warm temperatures, and the promise of a new season. This old tree casts interesting shadows in contrast with the undergrowth of thickets on the undulating forest floor. Over time people have carved out little trails along the river's edge while bisecting the forest.

In this painting I really tried to paint the variation of subject matter within the shadow of the tree. Instead of using a dark monotonous shadow, I attempted to suggest the contour of the land, the trail surface, and a bit of temperature in its silhouette.

I usually paddle with a buddy of mine in the Upper Ashuelot Canoe Race, which is typically the first Saturday in May. However, with my arm still undergoing physical therapy, I do not know if I will enter this year.


No comments:

Post a Comment