Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Bar Island Sand Bar

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

These beautiful warm days with the dry ground are beginning to make me think of summer and yearn to stick my toes in the ocean. Each summer, my wife and I make the annual pilgrimage to the coast of Maine, during the heat of the season in July, to visit family. This watercolor is of a classic summertime experience on Bar Harbor when the tide is coming in as the sun begins to set. People walk into the ankle deep water or more as it pools around them creating all kinds of patterns on the shoreline and reflections in the water.

I tried to capture some of these qualities of swirling water and changing light in this picture. I do like the glow of the young man caused by the sun behind him and the varying cool tones of the water.  The picture does seem to have the colors of summer here in New England. In addition, there is something about a solitaire figure, in motion, focusing on a task against the backdrop of the coast.

No comments:

Post a Comment