Sunday, May 10, 2015

Did we miss Spring?

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

This week I started a portrait of my wife which I am really excited about. However, it has a ways to go in its development but I will post it before long. In the meantime, with this summer-like heat of 88 degrees here in Brattleboro, Vermont, I thought I would cool it down with a winter scene from a few months ago. Winter is now starting to seem like a long time ago with the sudden change in season.

What made me want to paint this house was the rich blue sky which really contrasted with the white house and white snow. After a long winter, it was one of the first truly sunny days as the length of day was increasing significantly. The distant ridge which is Brattleboro Retreat land has added significance for me as I have hiked and skied this area many times. In these paintings the backdrop as well as the time of time of day often are subtly tweaked for effect. Specifically, I sharpened shadows, added a window on the house and removed vegetation around the house so you see deeper into the landscape. I am seeking simpler, bolder compositions when possible, then even a few months ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment