Sunday, May 3, 2015

Lowell Lake

(C) 2015 Dale DiMauro

The warmer weather has finally arrived, at least for the foreseeable future, which makes me think of summer paddling. Beautiful, sunny days with open water makes me appreciate where I live in the world. In Brattleboro, Vermont we have access to all kinds of outdoor activities such as hiking, paddling and skiing while providing beauty from our doorstep.

Paddling on Lowell Lake in Londonderry, Vermont last fall was quite a treat. My experience there inspired this watercolor just as the fall leaves were beginning to turn. I love the tranquility of the water against the undeveloped shoreline. 

I am unsettled about the distant vegetation in the middle of the picture and how to portray it. I like to establish a sense of depth in my pictures but not at the level of detail you would see in the foreground. I also don't like it when a painting is overworked and with watercolor I try to maintain an element of freshness which I believe is a strength of the medium. Is it a finished painting? In this particular painting I am on the fence, leaning both ways. Perhaps, I need a little distance so I can reflect on my impressions of the scene.






No comments:

Post a Comment