Wednesday, January 3, 2018

The Sketchbook dilemma

(C) 2017 Dale DiMauro

Finding a sketchbook, that I like, for the winter months is no easy task. In general, I find the quality of sketchbook paper has become worse over time. In the winter, I prefer large, hardbound, sketchbooks which can take some abuse and seldom fit easily into any shoulder bags.

Many sketchbooks have smooth paper with little or no tooth. These yield a dull drawing with a limited range of affects. On the other hand, there are sketchbooks with a rough tooth providing a grainy and smeared result. With these two versions, unless, I have one on hand, I do not know what I have spent money on until they are in use.


Recently, I posted on a sort of, new age sketchbook manufactured by Canson called the Art Book Universal. They claim the paper will not yellow over time and it can repeatedly take erasure without damage amongst other qualities. I indeed like these sketchbooks. Of note, is that the paper lays flat. However, they are not easy to find locally. In addition, I have found them only in smaller sizes ie (8.5" x 11"). I seek the 11" x 14" and larger sized sketchbook.


There are Strathmore sketchbooks sold at Michaels which I like and use a lot but they are basically softbound. Anyone know of any other options available?

No comments:

Post a Comment