Sunday, February 10, 2019

Plein Air Painting

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

As the length of day has been increasing I am becoming more and more eager to paint outside. This may seem like an odd desire since it only February. However, at least in my mind, I am mapping out areas in my town desirable to paint. 

Over time I have learned to appreciate the simplicity and directness of plein air painting. On the one hand, the light changes quickly so an artist cannot get too boggled down in details. On the other hand, it is quite social as people feel entitled to see what your working on. Often people passing by offer there unsolicited opinion.

While painting outside I have become aware of how rapidly plants and foliage change daily. The leaves on the trees unfurl in a light hue which becomes much darker as the Summer season evolves. 

With such an early Winter and long one indeed, I am eager for signs of Spring. I suppose hope does Spring eternal.



No comments:

Post a Comment