Sunday, April 21, 2019

Less is More

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

Sometimes returning to a painting you started changes your perspective on things. This watercolor is one such case. 

Last fall I wanted to paint a landscape. Not just any landscape but a real painting that drew you into the picture. I wanted to capture the sky and landscape with a feeling of depth, color and light which we don't see every day. To do this, I had this odd-sized sheet of Saunders Waterford, watercolor paper with a vertical-orientation kicking around. So it was to be done on this paper.

I started this picture but the early winter snow discouraged me from finishing it. This photograph is a detail from the overall watercolor.

Recently, I painted some more washes which gave the foreground richer colors and greater depth. As a result I became re-energized. 

Prior to starting any painting I consider how to approach the subject. Sometimes I tone the paper with some-sort of pigment. Other times I leave other areas to be painted last. However, in this case, I realized the absence of color just below the woods would suggest the sun-bleached field. As it has been said by countless other people long before me: less is more.

No comments:

Post a Comment