Wednesday, April 3, 2019

Tree of Life

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

Painting trees in watercolor I find to be a fun exercise, even a spiritual process. There is some magic if you can capture the presence of a large tree with all its character, to some degree, on paper. Each species of tree is quite individualistic, yet familiar in some way. Of course, tropical trees are a whole separate matter, I suppose.

Most trees I come across in nature or in our cultural landscape are misshapen with irregular silhouettes or devoid of large chunks of limbs, which can add character. Also, trees often cast dramatic shadows across the earth, which gives them a greater sense of presence. It is good to capture some of these qualities. 

When I prepare to paint a tree, I am not seeking to paint a perfectly shaped tree. However, I am continually trying to improve on the trees I paint. I think it is important to paint as fluid a trunk and branching as you can. It is also important to anchor your tree to the earth.

This tree I just made up, or perhaps you could say I painted it from a conglomeration of memory.  

No comments:

Post a Comment