Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Thoughts on painting trees in the landscape

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro

These days I usually pre-stain my watercolor sheet. Not always, but more frequently then in the past. This way I can get beyond the white of the paper. Of course, it all depends on your subject matter. 

This is the perfect example. I wanted subdued colors so the grass and green of the trees would stand out. This sky has a touch of pink which is pretty much the complimentary color to green. The cool gray of the drive helps to frame the greenery.

Trees can be hard to paint if you don't have a clear vision of what you want. For me it is important to have the tree in the foreground lighter than the tree in the background. It is also important to depict the foreground tree with greater height and a thicker trunk to suggest that it is closer to the viewer. Also, expressing the foliage distinct from the other tree in your technique can be helpful. Many artists use some sort of masking fluid during the painting of trees but I shy away from this approach.

I'll post the final version of this watercolor when I finish it. I do appreciate the large specimen trees you sometimes find along old residential neighborhoods. It seems like they are becoming harder to find these days. Trees take a commitment to be allowed to grow to a mature height without too much interference.

No comments:

Post a Comment