Wednesday, July 15, 2020

Sketching

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro

When it is hot and humid outside or when I am becoming tired, drawing can be a great activity. It can be very therapeutic. To sketch freely, absent of expectations with the pencil pressed to the paper calms the mind. When you are done whether you finished a drawing or not becomes a record of where you were during this point in time.

These sketches were done while watching television in the evening. Often I experiment with different pencils or a range of softer pencils which I would not usually consider. I even experiment with these smear-free charcoal pencils that I have. It is also the time when I progress the most in trying to capture the human figure. During this period I feel like I am not trying to make a perfect drawing, just letting the pencil move around.

It has been said that drawing makes you begin see the world as you record what is going on around you. Along the way your perceptions of the world sharpen, along with your ability to communicate with others in a meaningful way. 

No comments:

Post a Comment