Sunday, July 5, 2020

Stickney Brook Falls

(C) 2020 Dale DiMauro

Last week on the way back from work I set aside time to plein air paint. It was a hot morning so the mere thought of standing by a waterfall was enticing. However, I did not anticipate a burst of young children splashing around, as when I first arrived it was rather quiet.

The majority of this watercolor was done on site. However, I got tired of sitting perched on a rock ledge - so I did some finishing touches at home. At one point I got excited with how the green foliage was coming along. The leafy canopy is a nice backdrop for the drama of the rock outcroppings which really define the space.

Recently, I have been reading up on John Singer Sargent and his watercolor paintings. He was very direct in his painting approach to the point, where if needed, corrections were made all along his painting process. I kept thinking about his approach as this picture developed.


No comments:

Post a Comment