Wednesday, July 21, 2021

John Constable

                                                                               Painting by John Constable 

It has been a long time since I have left the state of Vermont. In many instances it is best to not leave Vermont because it is truly a beautiful state. It is not dominated by strip malls, overpopulation and polluted air which other urban areas strive to overcome.

However, yesterday was the first time I entered a neighboring state, Massachusetts, in over a year. My wife and I went to the Clark Art Museum, in Williamstown, MA. It was good to escape the thick, humid air and visit some favorite paintings of ours. We checked in our favorite paintings by the likes of John Singer Sargent, Thomas Gainsborough and Mary Cassatt, amongst others.

Over time, I have learned to appreciate the landscapes of english painter, John Constable(1776-1837). This small landscape, painted in 1816, oil on canvas, is titled, Osmington Bay. In addition, to his cloud studies, which he is well known for, I learned he painted landscapes in watercolor, too.

I like the low horizon with the big sky and sweeping beach. It seems to be such a timeless subject with an individual providing a sense of scale. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment