Sunday, July 4, 2021

The Brattleboro Common


 

                                                                           (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro


Plein air painting can be a wild ride of unpredictability. Late this afternoon I painted this watercolor from a picnic table on the Brattleboro Common. It was exciting to work on this picture when the paper and pigment were still wet and juicy. 

Of note, I took a very direct approach to painting this scene. I kept painting areas while other areas were still wet. Also, I did minimal drawing prior to painting. Thus, I worked out the composition as I painted.

However, as it dried it looks a bit flat while the photograph is not kind to the subject matter. It is a challenge and rare to completely finish a watercolor in one sitting.

What really drew me to this perspective were the two women sitting on the park bench. It is great to have a human presence in your paintings. However, they clearly do not dominate the scene. I like the sense of depth in the picture and the layers of foliage.

It goes to show every once in a while you come up with a dud. However, I learn the most from these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment