Monday, July 12, 2021

My Latest Watercolor.......

                                                                                 (C) 2021 Dale DiMauro
 

With such a run of sunny days this spring, it seemed important to try capturing some of the characteristics of the light and the many greens all around me here in Vermont. My exploration has resulted in three landscapes on one sheet.

In the last year I have fully embraced using mop watercolor brushes. One of my favorites can be seen on the right in the photograph. They lay down a meaty wash and retain a fine point for detail work. This means one less brush to carry outside when painting plein air.

I have been searching for this opaque foliage color/value, the saturated dark green-brown of the deep shade, used here for the scraggly vegetation in the foreground. This would take my paintings to a whole other level. The misplaced blob of paint in the upper left is a Van Dyke brown, which is closer to what I am searching for. However Van Dyke brown is considered a fugitive pigment and fades fast in sunlight and thus, not permanent.

No comments:

Post a Comment