Sunday, January 16, 2022

Sepia & the White of the Paper

 

                                                                                      (C) 2022 Dale DiMauro


This tree was painted with the combination of sepia and permanent sap green. In the past I didn't really mix sepia with other pigments. I don't know why, but it never occurred to me. Since then I have been experimenting with a whole range of pigments to combine with sepia.

The tone of this color combination was appealing when wet and even in it's dry state. With this one wash on the paper the tree seems to have a presence on the page which is not overstated.

Lately, I have begun to appreciate the white of the paper more than ever before. Sometimes less paint can communicate more. Also, one can achieve greater depth in the picture if you leave the white of the paper in certain areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment