Wednesday, June 19, 2024

Favorite Winslow Homer Books


 

Winslow Homer certainly is an American icon when it comes to mastering the art of watercolor. Of all the books out on Winslow Homer, these are my favorites.

The book on the left, I believe, was a 1996 catalog as a result of a major exhibition at the National Gallery of Art, in Washington D.C. I bought this not long ago, used, for twenty bucks at a local bookstore. It is so well researched and the images are of such high quality - I was thoroughly impressed. It includes watercolors Homer painted I had never seen before.

The newer book, Winslow Homer:American Passage by William R. Cross, while also well-researched, I find provides a clearer glimpse into how Homer went about his painting process.

The next time I visit the Clark Art Museum, in Williamstown, MA which usually is in the summer, I hope to view some of his watercolors in person. They have quite a few of Homer's watercolors in their permanent collection.

No comments:

Post a Comment