Wednesday, June 5, 2024

Imaginary Landscape

                                                                                (C) 2024 Dale DiMauro

Sometimes the best watercolor experience can come from doodling. For me, doodling is playing around with no set expectations or agenda. This gives me the opportunity to try new techniques or tweak the landscape in unexpected ways.

First of all, this watercolor was painted in a bound book with a variety of subject matter from landscapes to portraits and figure studies. It is rewarding to see what other watercolors you have painted over time in this book and how I may have progressed.

In this particular watercolor I was excited because I tried lifting pigment to establish the tree trunks on the left without putting a heavier dark on the paper. In addition, lately I have been increasingly using a sponge to wet the paper or remove puddles of moisture. This sponge is a really helpful tool and can speed the painting along. Finally, I used warm colors throughout this scene and feathered brushwork to create a sunny disposition.

Trying these techniques and others I find really expands my horizon with regards to painting. Also, having a large tool box to draw from can come in real handy at times.

No comments:

Post a Comment