Sunday, October 6, 2024

Watercolor Brushes

 

                                                                                          (C) 2024 Dale DiMauro


Watercolor brush selection seems to be by personal choice. There are a huge range of brushes and manufactures to choose from. Some are cheap and come in sets while others are expensive and usually sold as individual items. However, most of the brushes I got were heavily discounted(or discontinued), given to me or I got with a gift card, which I earned.

By now I must have painted hundreds of watercolors - many small pictures on a wide range of papers from postcard-sized and up. Along the way I have developed my own preferences. For plein air painting I use a small selection of cheaper brushes for on the go.

The last several years I have been pushing myself to paint larger with bigger brushes when painting indoors. Regardless, I want brushes to last, so I treat them with the utmost respect. I rinse them out right after I am done using them and lay them down on a paper towel sheet.

The brush on the bottom is my most recent acquisition. It is called - da vinci - Casaneo - a liner brush I believe. I love this brush as it has a long flexible point which is great for painting power lines or straggly foliage. It is the most expressive brush I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment