Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Frustrations with framing

(C)2016  Dale DiMauro

Artists have to transport their paintings to shows in advance of exhibitions. I was more than willing to transport another artists painting in exchange for having my painting retrieved at the conclusion of the show. After numerous emails working out the details  I will be one of those artists bringing an additional artist's painting to be hung.

With time running out and the Vermont Watercolor Society's Spring show around the corner I had to make some critical decisions. I have not had much experience cutting mat board or assembling the moulding into frames. Earlier last week, I cut a dummy mat board( a cheap board) to the size I would need but accidentally cut the length a little short which I temporarily taped together. I have learned it is easy to over cut the bevel lengths which creates the inside window, measuring incorrectly or ending up with debris or marks on the mat board. Some of this can be addressed, no question with more experience, but I also learned that the moulding chips when I run it through the compound miter saw. However, I do have a nice joiner which makes clear, square corners of the moulding but this was already too many new steps in this process than I was ready to take on to do a professional job. 

Reality finally set in, at least for this show, as I brought my painting with the kayaker to our local frame shop. Since this is just one painting and I wanted the picture to look sharp on the wall I feel like this was the right thing to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment