Sunday, April 10, 2016

Theodore Roosevelt

(C) 2016 Dale DiMauro

This winter I read many nonfiction books. Recently, I finished Ron Chernow's book, Alexander Hamilton. It was over seven hundred pages long and so well written. It makes me want to see the play, now on Broadway. I have read numerous books on presidents or at least the well known ones. I have read in-depth books on Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt, Taft, Truman, F.D.R. and Theodore Roosevelt among others.

Recently, I bought this magazine called American Presidents: The Greatest...and The Worst! from our local supermarket and have been drawing many of our past president's faces. When I start a drawing of a figure from the past I try to imagine what that person's life was like and how America was at that time. 

Theodore Roosevelt had so much energy from his hunting expeditions and his later efforts to preserve land from development that I tried to express some of that intensity, in his face. Regardless, that face with those glasses are unmistakeable. I have not in person seen any glasses that resemble Teddy's with that ring over the nose and that ring and strap coming off his right lens. 

No comments:

Post a Comment