Sunday, April 24, 2016

Portrait on the go

(C) 2016 Dale DiMauro

This is a little portrait I did a few years ago while staying overnight in a motel room in New Jersey. This head shot, in a field book of watercolors, consists entirely of portraits like this one. I enjoy the simplicity of the composition and particularly how the white apron tie lays, circling around the man's neck.

I thought it would be nice to mix it up and post something different. In fact, these little portraits I do and there are hundreds if you include pencil drawings, seem to capture some quality about the individual, even if they are exaggerated. My art mentor, Gerarde Doucette, compares these portraits to the work and spirit of Alice Neel. 

Gerarde thinks I should mount them in a series on one wall next to each other with little space between them. I have thought about it but have not done it yet. Maybe someday, but I need the right space to exhibit them. In the meantime, I am looking for the next great portrait....

No comments:

Post a Comment