Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Late Summer in the Field

(C) 2016 Dale DiMauro

This little watercolor study was inspired by a walk along a local field last summer. Unfortunately, this field has become a solar array field and is in the process of being fenced in. The scale of the field was quite pleasant to walk through with lovely native trees gathered along the perimeter. There often is much bird activity as last year an eagle soared over me, in early spring, before the foliage emerged.

I have been experimenting with different color combinations to depict the shadows of trees. In this picture I mixed ultramarine blue with various degrees of raw umber and an olive green that was on my palette. At times I dropped in payne's gray too. 

Recently, I have favored the mixture of aureolin with prussian blue as an earthy green. However, I have learned that aureolin, a cool yellow, has questionable longstanding archival quality.

No comments:

Post a Comment