Sunday, June 30, 2019

Asparagus Festival

(C) 2019 Dale DiMauro


A few weeks back I went to an Asparagus Festival in Hadley, MA. It is situated within the Pioneer Valley, one of my favorite rural landscapes to visit. The old historic buildings in combination with the mature, majestic trees which frame the green are much revered. It is even more appreciated on a hot, sunny day such as my wife and I experienced.

This watercolor is a result of that experience. Painting layers of foliage is usually not an easy task for watercolorists. However, I like the sunny and shady areas portrayed in this picture. It is easy to overwork the painting but I feel like I put the brush down at the right time. It is better to keep it simple but harder to follow this principle.

As a final note I want to mention there is a lot of hansa yellow used in creating this watercolor. I find it a useful pigment for mixing yellowy-green foliage and vibrant lawn areas which don't look so manicured.

No comments:

Post a Comment